Thursday, January 11, 2018

TBT - Shadow of the Bear

I have made some blog-friends in the last couple of years....many I have yet to meet in person.

One of these is Sandra who writes Musings of a Menopausal Melon. We should have met this past year at a longarm class being offered down Niagara-way, but that was unfortunately cancelled.

The other day, I read that Sandra is starting a once-a-month linky party called Throwback Thursday. Today is the first installment.

When I read that she was doing this, I was literally within an hour of gifting a quilt to a friend. I think it was "meant to be" that I share a picture of this quilt before it made it's way out the door.




I know that all three pictures are basically showing the same image, but I think it's cute that Minnie and Cooper think the picture-taking is all about them!

This quilt is called Shadow of the Bear...since the bear paws are kind of shadowed. A group of us made these quilts in a workshop given by my friend, Deb Allan, in 2001 (we think). 

I'm pretty sure this was a mystery class. It was a lot of sewing and used up a lot of scraps and is probably one of the nicest mystery quilts I have seen. I hand-quilted it and it is gently used, but still in remarkable shape.

What I love most about this quilt is the staggered nature of the log cabin blocks, which adds so much interest and motion to the quilt.

Looking at the pictures, I'm getting flashbacks on trimming up all of those half-square triangles....there was so much work to this quilt...but worth it!

I hope you can visit with Sandra for Throwback Thursday and show her some quilty-love on starting the new linky party. 


7 comments:

  1. Oh I love this quilt!! I will finish mine this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sandra!!! You are, or HAVE given it away?!! And it's HAND-quilted?? Be STILL my pounding heart; you must love that person very very much! (I'm channelling Angela here ha, one of her common sayings.) Thank you so much for having taken a picture of it, how fortuitous! And for linking up, and hey, dogs and cats, fur kids, on quilts always make the photo that much better. Is this pattern still around? Ya, like I need more squirrels to chase, but it really is a super-cool quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! I love the combination of interesting blocks and scrappy color. Your dogs are adorable, too! Of course the pictures are all about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and I see I'm not along in thinking that you're giving this quilt away. I think Minnie and Cooper want you to keep it because the colors make them look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the doggies! But that quilt is absolutely stunning. I don’t think I’ve seen the shadow version of the bear paw block before. That in combination with the log cabin blocks makes for a real delight. Your friend must be over the moon with such a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I be your friend? LOL This is a beautiful quilt! Drooling over it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a pattern for this quilt or did you just make it up as you went along? I love it, this is one of the prettiest quilts that I have seen in a long time. This is my husbands email, mine is georgiapat1954@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete