Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A January finish

What a feeling to have this quilt completed to the "flimsy" stage. I am very happy.




I will be hand-quilting this quilt and am really looking forward to it. I love the fact that I can baste quilts on the longarm. Something this size used to take me a full afternoon to hand-baste. That was back in the days when I had carpeting in the living room and I would pin the backing to the carpet and lay the batting and top on. Then an afternoon of crawling around the floor basting the quilt. My "grumpy knees" surely can't take the abuse anymore. Thanks to Gayle at Mangofeet for the phrase "grumpy knees", it's perfect!

This was my January goal for OMG - One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts, and I'm very please to have completed it.

I'm actually finishing this Sarah Fielke BOM just as the one for 2018 is starting up, literally! This year's is called Simple Folk and there is still lots of time to join in. You can read about it HERE. With the BOM you get the pattern every month as well as a wonderful video tutorial every month.

In the foreground of the picture above, is my Sarah Fielke BOM from 2016, Happy Days, currently being worked on on the longarm.

I'm custom-quilting it, but not overly so. I am having fun with a new-to-me cross-hatching method. It's fairly quick and I think it will unify the blocks in the end.




Hopefully, by this time next week I will have started putting some stitches into Down the Rabbit Hole. 

I am linking up today with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social and with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers.

It looks to be a dreary end to January. A perfect time to get some sewing done and visit some quilty blogs to get inspired.

Have a lovely day!

13 comments:

  1. this is a spectacular quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!!! I am so happy for every person who finishes their Rabbit Hole :) It makes me look forward to when I'll get there, but I love so much seeing the individual color combos. Yours is so very pretty. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! and amazing! I am wondering to myself if I could ever accomplish such a thing. Many things that once seemed impossible to me I have achieved so maybe. Alice's dad said "“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” and technically I haven't had breakfast yet..... Thanks for posting the links to the FAL for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! I've never made a quilt as intricate as that -- the effort I know you put into it is quite impressive and the result is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsers! It's beautiful - can't wait to see the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Down The Rabbit Hole is gorgeous! Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love your Happy Days and Down the Rabbit Hole, can't wait to see it quilted :) Have you chosen fabrics for Simple Folk yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, and using your longarm machine to baste for hand quilting is absolutely brilliant! And now, despite all of my other UFOs and WIPs, and all of the many reasons that I don't need to add yet ANOTHER new project to my list, I am off to find out whether Down the Rabbit Hole is still available. Because bunnies and cute little villages are too adorable to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely gorgeous! I've really enjoyed seeing you work on it - so much beautiful work and fabulous colors.
    So inspiring, too. One of these days I'll tackle something like this, but in the meantime, I'll just enjoy looking at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to purchase the DTRH but waiting to see how much the postage is. I am so drawn to this quilt!

    ReplyDelete