Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sunday Stitches

The last Sunday before Christmas!

I'm definitely going to take some time for some Slow Stitching today before trying to organize what still needs doing for Christmas. One thing on the list is re-arranging the rec room as I believe we will overflow into that on Boxing Day...not a big deal, though!

We really want to get the last of the groceries today, so a list is definitely in order. I wonder what other people have on their holiday menu that is a little out of the ordinary? Ours would be Risotto! My grandson will have three helpings then ask to take the leftovers home!

I've been keeping up on my Day in My Life/Quilty365. Sometimes I fall behind by three days but then catch-up before this becomes a dreaded UFO....and I don't want that to happen!

I want to start thinking outside the box on this project. One day I threaded the needle and just started a running stitch. I did draw a freehand heart but then let my needle go where it wanted to....
I've always be intrigued by the thought of doing an applique quilt in silks. This morning was actually the first time, I think, that I've actually used some silk...
I know I'm going to start roaming the thrift shops now for old silk ties!

I think I'm being influenced strongly for the Quilty365 by Stephie over at Dawn Chorus Studio.
I'm sure you will agree that she is a very creative artist and hopefully you'll find inspiration in her blog as I have.

I've been so inspired by Stephie that I am taking steps to explore my creative side in the new year. I won't share what it is yet, I want to wait to see how it goes. Sorry!

I'm glad to say that my longarm commitments were completed on schedule on Friday. How satisfying to have worked it out just right!

Now comes the time to finally quilt my son and his wife's Christmas present! This was a first attempt at using the Quick Curve Ruler. It's not perfect, but it was fun and I'll definitely use the ruler again for another quilt someday! The plan was to get this started on the longarm on Monday, but as you can see I'm actually ahead of the game. I had thought they may just receive a "flimsy" for Christmas, but I'm starting to think they may get a completed quilt, yay!!!


 On Saturday evening we had a nice festive evening out with my son's little family. First a little review of the restaurant we had dinner at, the Tai Shan Express in Simcoe. I didn't even know it was there!

The restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere, prices were great and we were served very generous portions. The food was delicious and very fresh tasting. We will definitely go again!

Then we took a stroll around to see the displays at the Simcoe Panorama with the kids. I haven't been in years and loved seeing all the little children running around here and there to take it all in. I tried to take some pictures but our littlest was so enthralled with the goings on that it was hard to get her attention. This is probably the best picture I could get...take note of her mittens which my son referred to as her oven mitts....


Also, this morning I was able to do a bit of poking on my AuntieGreen'sGarden. This was the last of what I have prepared, so I'll have to try to find a bit of time to get a few more flowers ready to go. I'm just realising that this border is almost complete so one of the things on my to-do list between Christmas and New Year's may be preparing the next border...so exciting!


I hope everyone can take some time to relax and enjoy some slow stitching today. I believe even just a fifteen minute break from the hectic Christmas schedule can count as a de-stressing, meditative time that is so good for our health. I could go on, but \I don't want to start sounding preachy....I just believe in this so strongly!

Try to take time, also, to visit with Kathy over at Kathy's Quilts to see how other people are taking time to take a break and enjoy the holidays! 

Have a great day!







No comments:

Post a Comment