Sunday, August 9, 2020

Slow stitching on a Sunday

It's a lovely morning here, and, as always I've started my day with a bit of hand-stitching.

I'm almost finished with this "Covid squirrel"...my Hills 'n' Hollers quilt...


...only one more piece to applique, then it will be done. I'll sit down and do that after writing today's post. 


I did have an unexpected bit of applique to do on this quilt this week. I added these bits...

No one will ever know (except you) that they are not actually a design element, but a cover-up for the dreaded "unfortunate scissors incident", lol! Life happens....but in quilting it just presents another good use for some creative applique, am I right??


Here is the quilt up on the design wall...so close to being done...

I feel like this one will need "big-stitch quilting", which I think will be difficult for me...after all, I've spent the last forty years trying to do small, even, traditional stitches! Another thing, how does one even know how much perle cotton to buy to quilt a piece? Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm actually just remembering that I have done big-stitch quilting on a piece a couple of years ago, so I'm sure I'll be fine.


In this past week, wouldn't you know it, I've come across yet again another sewalong. 

This one is offered by Lucy Engels out of Scotland and is called the Naive Melody quilt. It is a quilt that evolved out of herk own Covid lock-down experience.

The sewalong starts on September 1st and consists of doing a block per day for 100 days, and is an Instagram sewalong. You can look up the hashtag #naivemelodysewalong....and Lucy at @_lucyengels.

Here is a link to the sign-up page, and you can have a peek at the quilt...https://mailchi.mp/ddd2442d077b/naive-melody-sal

When you sign up for the sewalong you get an email with a discount code for buying the pattern, which is very reasonably priced. The blocks are 6 1/2" unfinished.

It's a quilt that can be easily made from your stash, can be done with hand applique or machine applique, and the simple shapes are repeated in many blocks.

Of course, I've had to test the first 2 blocks...



I hope some of you will join me in this sewalong! 

Edited to add: I've just found out that instead of 100 blocks in 100 days, the sewalong will be 4 blocks per week....so even more manageable!


I'll end with showing off my latest attempt at sourdough bread. Just for fun I threw in a handful of dates and walnuts. It was definitely a success!


Have a lovely Sunday. I am linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching.


Oh, and another thing....I've tried to change the commenting on my posts so that I need to approve them first....I'm not sure if it's working properly. I've done this as I've been getting so many spam comments lately. I'll have to see how to add on the captcha(sp?) about "not being a robot". 


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well know of unfortunate scissor accidents. Looks like you covered it nicely! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your quilt. That bread has my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking lovely and the sourdough bread looks yummy, no one will ever know about your cover up it's amazing how we manage to cover our mistakes I'm always doing it with my crochet too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take my hat to those like you who do perfect little quilting stitches. =) Your quilt is looking amazing. I always think that when a misadventure happens in quilting a beautiful new idea always happens to cover the mistake and somehow it always looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is looking wonderful. I can smell your bread it looks so good. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete