Sunday, January 19, 2020

A Potpourri of Slow Stitching

We are still in the middle of a snowstorm this morning, which seems to make for perfect hand-stitching weather. I see so many people on social media that are in agreement, be it stitching, knitting, etc.

My slow stitching today consists of a bit of this and a bit of that.

First up....actually on Saturday...was finishing the binding on my Queen's Garden....



I'm happy with it, and I am even happier it's now a completed project :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have completed two stars for my Temperature quilt for 2020...


My goal is to kind of keep up, and then sew a star together once a week.

I'm starting to second-guess this one, actually. It's easy enough to do, but for both stars I have a bit of a bump in the middle. Not sure whether to continue, or hope that it will "quilt out" in the end. I'm hoping it's from the bulk and maybe it will be a little better once the papers are removed. Or could it be that my template is a bit off?

I think if I had recorded the "low" temperatures this month I'd probably be switching this up for another design :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've always liked the idea of making a mug rug, but never got around to doing any. At Christmas a friend gifted me with two cute Christmas-themed mug rugs, and it turns out that I really enjoyed using them...thanks TA!

So, I thought, I'll have to make one for everyday use.

On another note....I was never one to save selvedges, until lately when I noticed some of them are quite cute and some have cute sayings on them. So, I started saving them for "one day".

Yesterday I sewed some of these selvedges into a mug run and this morning I quickly sewed up the binding...


I really like it! I will take note for next time to use a 2-1/4" binding strip instead of 2-1/2"...I think it will be much more tailored looking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't work on my Over The Hill today, but I did work on it this week. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now for my PSA....a cautionary tale....

When our guests were here from Alberta last week we took them to the Hamilton Farmers' Market....I don't think I've been for at least 40 years! 

It's wonderful and we will definitely not wait 40 years to go back again!

I came across a booth selling turmeric root and had to buy some. I'd never seen it before, I usually just use the powdered stuff from the bulk store.  (Can you tell where this is going yet?)

I used it a couple of days ago, and here's what happened...


I don't know why it's not showing in the picture, but a lot of the skin on my fingers is bright gold, too!

So, next time I will use gloves...or just stick to the powdered version!!! 

I have a manicure booked for Tuesday....not sure whether to keep the appointment or not, lol.

Have a cozy Sunday!...hopefully your's will include a bit of stitching, too.

I am linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching, and with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework  for Oh Scrap.






11 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous finish on your quilt!! It is beautiful..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute photos of the fur babies inspecting your stitching!
    Love the mini selvage quilt!!
    I have to comment that you now literally have the "golden touch"... everything you touch turns to gold... i could go on and on with that metaphor! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular quilt finish and your little mug rug is SEW darling!! Off to check out that Over the Hill pattern. I don't recall seeing that. I have to tell you, I'm in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such a pretty finish and fun projects over at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were in India we saw that turmeric is used to "decorate" brides and grooms on their wedding day and also on birthdays and celebrations. My husband once had his bushy white beard totally covered in it and it did eventually wash out. I am from Hamilton also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous finish, and what a great group of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an inspiration! I am finally able to get back to my "Garden". Your "Garden"is Beautiful!! Love all the other projects! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Queens garden quilt is gorgeous... your mug rug FuN & the design wall very interesting. It was a lovely visit...xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My! That Over he Hill project sure caught my eye. It is going to be so charming. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, what a gorgeous finish and how cute are the pooches. Goodness gracious me, your Over The Hill is a vision splendid...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep your manicure appointment ... they'll be able to get it off! Don't ask me how I know! ;) Your mug rug is really cute! I love your temperature stars! Doesn't it feel good to have a big finish like that, so early in the year??!! :)

    ReplyDelete