This week it seemed like all I did stitching-wise was miles and miles of binding!....and I'm not one to especially like to do it like some of you are. I just regard it as something that needs doing in order to have a completed quilt.
I don't have show-and-tell for all of my labours as they were not my own quilts....but it was especially nice to help an old friend by doing this for her.
Now...back to my Queen's Garden quilt.
I was ready to get all the components sewn together when I realised that I hadn't finished the embroidery. Well, that is now completed.
So happy... I can now get it together and get the borders on.
But, hold on a minute...nothing is ever that easy, is it?
On the original pattern, the designer had appliqued small circles where the orange peels meet. I had decided early on not to do the circles as the fabric that I am working with is fairly thick.
Most of my orange peels "kiss" nicely, but then there are a few like the one above that I just don't think I can live with.
Sometimes you just have to make the decision to fix things. What does it for me is the thought that so much work has gone into this quilt already...do I really want to cheap out just because it will take a little longer to do it right? That makes the decision so much easier.
I auditioned a couple of different sizes of circles, using my Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Circles. By doing this, I can see that it will be the right choice to add the circles....
Here are a few circles sewn on. I think it's a lot more pleasing now...
I guess the designer knew what she was doing! Although, I did have the thought that the circles were added to maybe cover her own orange peels not meeting properly??? lol...maybe!
Now I'll share my current Leaders and Enders project. I had hesitated to show anyone yet as there is not a lot of contrast in the blocks and it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm starting to love it so here goes!
I am making little log cabins out of 1" strips, with 1-1/2" orange centres.
Here are the containers I keep by my sewing machine, full of "logs" ready to sew...
....and here is a pile of log cabins in various states of construction...
I am keeping the scraps somewhat bright and modern.
Here are a few up on the design wall...
They aren't all sewn together yet, but I'm getting a feeling on how it will look.
For me, it will be true quilt in every sense of what a quilt is meant to be...something that uses up every scrap...a riot of colour....and, as a bonus, it will be made of what could be argued as the most traditional of blocks, the Log Cabin.
I only hope it keeps my interest long enough to grown into a full-sized quilt!!
As always on Sundays, I am linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching to see what other slow stitchers are working on today.