Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hello, hello!

It feels like quite a while since I've sat and written a post.....so sorry!

For the first bit of July I had nothing quilty to talk about, then we booked an impromptu trip to Cuba!

Since being back I've been ill, along with having an infection in my ear, on my eyelid and in a gland in my armpit....not a happy camper the last few days!!! I'm starting to feel a bit more human today even if I don't look it.

We went to Toronto the day before our trip as we had a very early flight the next day. I'd never been to Yorkdale Mall, so we ventured in. I have to say, none of these stores show up in the malls that I usually frequent!

I did have fun in the Christian Louboutin shop...




As a shoe lover, I have to say I may have been drooling just a tad.

Cuba was wonderful....the best holiday we've had. I absolutely love looking up at all the varieties of palm trees...


This was our third trip to Cuba, but the first time we've spent a day in Havana. As a quilter I was in sensory overload with all the colour. I wish more countries would be so decorated in colour. I will have to visit Canada's east coast as I think the people there love to have colourful houses, as well.

For some strange reason, all the photos I took on my phone in Havana are not showing up in my Gallery, but here are a couple...




The food was great, but the pastries were over-the-top delicious! I don't usually eat much refined sugar, but this was vacation-time, right???

And, because we like to watch The Great British Baking Show, I knew that one of these pastries was a vol-au-vent and actually got to use "vol-au-vent" in a conversation! 


Entertainment in Cuba is always fun and well-done. One day this woman came around to the pool to invite everyone to the evenings festivities...


I'm not going to share the photo I took with her....some sights are better off not seen!

Here are some of the entertainers from that evening...


I did take some stitching with me to Cuba. 

I planned to do some sewing on my wee houses on the plane. 

Luckily, I remembered that I should trim the pieces ahead of time as I didn't want to risk taking scissors on the plane and have them taken from me by security. So, I trimmed them in the car on the way to Toronto....which was a good way to pass the time as I'm not a good highway passenger!


Those blue scissors are always at the spot where I applique in my house. Yesterday I couldn't find them anywhere, which was driving me nuts.....then I came across this picture and remembered they were in the car. If I hadn't taken the picture it probably would have been months until looking in the glove box of the car!!

So I did do a bit of airplane sewing...


.....and in Cuba I would sit with my morning coffee on the verandah and do a bit of work on my Dutch Treat blocks. I have to admit that sometimes I find these blocks frustrating. I actually thought long and hard whether or not to continue with this project. 

When new quilters come to me feeling frustrated, I tell them to allow themselves to be a beginner. Those words came back to haunt me, so I will continue and hope to see some improvement.



I hesitated to enlarge those two pictures, but what the heck, you may as well see them, warts and all!

One more thing to pass along. I've come across a blog put on by the PEI Modern Quilt Guild. In September they are hosting a Mystery Quilt-along and I'm going to join in. I've not done much in the way of Modern quilt-making, so this should be fun. You can find out more about it and see the fabric requirements HERE.

Today I am linking up with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social, with Mama Spark's World for WIP's with Friends, and with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Mid-week Makers.

Have a wonderful hot, humid Summer's day!


1 comment:

  1. That does look like it was a wonderful trip, including sewing time on the plane! Thanks for sharing today

    ReplyDelete