Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Creative Choices

Well, I'm dragging my self around here this morning to start the day. The pups and I made a midnight trip to the airport to pick up my DH from his weekend getaway. I'm glad that I have a pretty easy day of it today. I'll pick up my quilts from the Fairgrounds and continue on to a guild meeting. I'm looking forward to sitting back and enjoying the afternoon!

One thing I do like to do at the beginning of the week is organize in my mind the quilts that will face the longarm that upcoming week.

This week one of the quilts in the queue is a Blooming Nine-patch made by a friend of mine.....

Hmmm, fuzzy picture, but maybe you can see that a lot of beautiful batiks were chosen for this quilt. Batiks are not something I generally work with, but I can appreciate them!

It's beautiful as a batik quilt, with many different batiks giving a great effect to the design.

But then, in the midst of all these batiks, is this groovy fabric.....

Wow! That fabric choice, in my opinion, just makes the quilt sing! I think most of us wouldn't have even considered that fabric to work well with the batiks....I don't think it would have occurred to me, at least.

That one fabric takes the quilt to the next level. Most of us quilters are ones to follow the pattern, buy fabrics that "go" together and are pleased with a nice outcome. Then you get the person that just has that extra "tweak" in their creativity. These are the fibre artists!

I'd like to know the process of introducing that fabric into the quilt.

Was it the first choice, and all the batiks were picked to co-ordinate?

Was it a happy accident of a fabric just being nearby in the choosing process?....an "ah-ha" moment? But if that's the case, I think it still takes a creative mind to recognize the happy accident and go for it!

Hopefully this artist will chime in in the comment section and let us know how this rebel fabric came to be included.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment