Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Busy times!

I hadn't thought I'd do a post today, but it's been such a hectic four or five days I'm just going to take a few extra minutes of down-time this morning.

I attended a guild workshop yesterday....lots of fun and food and great people. It was "VP day"....the vice-presidents of the guild present a fairly easy project to work on for a fun sew-day each year.

The pattern was interesting to work on....we all were to cut our fabrics ahead of time so we could get right to it. I decided to try my hand at some mostly Kaffe Fassett fabrics...




We sewed the 6" squares into large nine-patches and chopped them up and moved them around...


Then some more moving around and more sewing...





....and in the end I'm not sure I like how mine is looking :(

The pattern makes a wonderful looking quilt, but I just don't think mine is working.

So here's the question. In this case, do you just plod on to get it done....or see the day as learning experience and not worry so much about actually finishing???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a wonderful time on Monday at Selkirk Heritage Day. This year I had a small quilt on a frame for people to try their hand at quilting. Even though last year was successful, the fact that we had a hands-on booth this year made it that much better.

At the beginning of the day I guessed we'd maybe get three people willing to sit down and give it a try. Well, I was wrong! We had people all through the day wanting to put some stitches in.

I wasn't surprised that a lot of children were curious to try quilting. 

We had from the very young....



....to an experienced quilter I've known for many years, who will be 91 this year and who spent the better part of the afternoon quilting with us....



I also got to visit with dear friends in my community...



On another note, please send your thoughts today for my sister, Linda. She is in the advanced stages of Multiple Sclerosis and is in the hospital with an awful case of pneumonia and influenza. We will make our way to the city today to visit with her. What a truly horrible disease....it makes me cry thinking of what my sister has faced in the last thirty years. She is absolutely the bravest person I know.

Today I am linking up with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social, who is also a very brave woman. And with Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers.

6 comments:

  1. Truthfully, I saw the first cut with the nice pinwheel center, and went, "Oooo, I like that!" The second cut and switch I said, "Hmmmm." I'm with you. So I try to view it as we go to learn a technique, and not necessarily come out with a grand finale. I finally got up the nerve to pitch a few of these type projects I had viewed as big fails. It was only in the fabric stage. Add the camaraderie of other good friends, and the block or fabric waste is the only fail. Chances are we learn more than just what the teacher is is teaching at things like this.

    I wondered how your Heritage Days set up would go. Not too many people, quilters included, know how to sit down and quilt at a stationary frame any more.

    And, Yes, I will keep your sister close to my heart hoping for a good outcome. Complicated flu is nasty business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a fun time yesterday! I was sorry to miss it. Prayers for you and Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You learned a new technique. Good for you!! Maybe you can make 4 (or 9) to put together for a doll quilt, or one for the Newborn Intensive care unit at your hospital. If you don't like the end result, pass the blocks along. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your sister and sending prayers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the first layout better than the final. It is always good to learn the ways we can change things up, learning is never a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had quilts like that. Usually, I plod on, not really liking it. Then when the quilting goes on, a miracle happens, and the quilt looks great! I vote to keep going!

    ReplyDelete