Sunday, June 19, 2016

Quilt Canada 2016

What an exciting week it's been for me! 

This week, of course, Quilt Canada took place in Toronto. I wasn't sure I would get there, but in the end went with a group of friends.

My big news is that on Monday I was informed that my quilt had won an award in the National Juried Show at Quilt Canada. I was truly blown away! I'm so glad now that I had a plan to attend the show!

My quilt placed second in Quilts from a Pattern, Book or Workshop. 

I have to say....after 36 years of being a quilter this truly feels like a pinnacle to my hobby/career. I'm very proud and thankful for everything and everyone that has brought me to this stage of being a quilter.


I even eavesdropped on Jackie White as she led a tour through the NJS to hear what she had to say...


I have to admit that her words had tears welling up in my eyes. 

I took a few pictures, one of which was the first place quilt in my category...
This one was called Not Now, Maybe Never made by Joan Dorsay. It's a bigger, brighter version of my Tomato Soup, one of my all-time favourite quilts!...

I wasn't sure what I'd think of the show being held in the International Centre, since my only previous experience had been 2 years ago at Brock University in St. Catharines, but it was fantastic!

It was also fun meeting up with acquaintances.....a couple of women that I'd met at Brock, Ruth Kennedy from up Fergus way (and her beautiful quilts hanging in the show), and I wish I had had a few more moments to spend with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts whom I visit with every Sunday on her blog, Slow Sunday Stitching (but it was nice to meet her, however briefly!).

I took lots of pictures, but am not sure what the protocol is in sharing pictures from the show without permission. 

I really didn't purchase much at the merchant mall. There were so many vendors this year and so much to see!

 I came across a vendor called Big Village selling beautiful baskets and jewelry made from recycled glass. When I was a little girl I had an aunt who did mission work in Ghana and she would give my mother wonderful baskets in which to hold her knitting. These were the exact same baskets....and from Ghana, as well! Out of sentiment I just had to buy one. I have always wondered what became of my mother's, but I'm happy to now have my own...
I also bought a beautiful necklace to commemorate my quilt hanging in the National Juried Show!

I always like to come away from a quilt show with something learned. This time it was this....

When Modern quilting first came out, I poo-poohed it. Now, it's starting to creep in and call my name! Who knows where this may lead!!!

Saturday was a relaxation day....I really needed it after all the build-up and touring of Quilt Canada. I regret not being there for classes this year. I'll have to remedy that in 2017!

And, of course, I've started my day with some stitches....this time trying to catch up a bit on my hearts...
I may have to remove the cat heart....he looks kinda mean and I don't know if I can take him staring at me from the completed quilt!

Now over to visit Kathy at Kathy's Quilts to see what others are slow-stitching today! It's going to be a hot day here so maybe it calls for a bit more stitching than usual!

Also, linking with Cynthia over at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh,Scrap!

Have a wonderful almost-Summer day!







No comments:

Post a Comment