Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sunday Stitching, Show and Tell

Happy Easter!

I've taken a break from blogging this past month. It's been a forced hiatus as I have been taking steps to de-stress my life a bit. Not that blogging has ever been a chore, or stressful, but it felt like something I could put on hold for a short while.

I've also taken some of my quilty projects off the to-do list, in an attempt to simplify life. I do have to admit, though, to another sewalong beginning at the end of April, lol. 

I wish I could somehow fit a relaxing activity like yoga or pilates into the mix, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be happening. Luckily I have my morning slow-stitching....which I often refer to as my "yoga". 

Since I was last here in blog-land I completed my Hand-piecing Sewalong. I think I'll try to get this one basted soon so I can do a bit of hand-quilting when the mood strikes me. It is 26"square and I contemplated adding a border, but I think this will be it.




I've also completed the fourth and final block from the wool applique class that I was taking at Quilt Junction lately. I learned a lot of cool stitches and am happy with my blocks. I think I will sew these together and make a small, decorative pillow.




On my to-do list tomorrow will be to do the prep-work for the next block for my Queen's Garden. In the meantime, this morning, I worked on my Tula Nova EPP....which is normally saved for "away" stitching...





I'm a little behind in my Harry Potter QAL. I did get the "Dobby the House Elf" block completed, but then it was given away and I'll have to make another....which kind of sucks, as it was a difficult block with a couple of issues ( not issues with the pattern, issues with my piecing! ) ...



Dobby was an intricate block.....then came the Hogwart's Express block!!!....it was even more-so...and in the end it did not work out well. 


There's a big, fat error in the piecing....which I can live with. What you can't see, due to the magic of cropping, is the uneven edges to  my block....so much so that I don't think it will be fudge-able when it comes to joining it with the other blocks. Also, I think I will change the numeral 2 in the block so it looks less like a backwards 5. 

Here is a reminder of the previous blocks....



In my quest to organize and de-stress, I am trying something called a Bullet Journal. As someone who enjoys working with lists I think this may be a good thing, who knows. If any of you uses a Bullet Journal, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.


It's been an early morning for me...I find that happens when there is a lot to do to prepare for a family gathering. We are having most of the family over for an Easter lunch.

 I'll be trying a couple of new recipes, one being a crust-less quiche...I hope it works out! 

On Saturday I made something ahead of time, to free-up some oven time for today. This bread was something my mother would often make. It's made with a sweet dough and when it comes out of the oven you put jam in the creases of the braid and a thin icing on the humps. I have to say, I'm impressed with the results, even though the flavour of the bread is slightly different from what I remember of my mom's. Of course, I had to test it out by having a slice (or two)....


That's all for now....have a wonderful day. I hope it includes a bit of slow stitching.

I am linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching, and also with Elm Street Quilts for the Hand-piecing QAL Finale. 


9 comments:

  1. That TULA epp is beautiful! You sure have a lot of active projects on the go. A friend of mine has had a bullet journal for a year or two and she finds it quite helpful. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting projects going on for sure. Your QAL project is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much deliciousness on your blog post today!
    Love that bread... I'm sure it's been eaten by now!
    Your hand pieced project turned out beautifully... I'm hoping to get the borders on mine tomorrow.
    Happy Easter!
    PS what are you starting at the end of April!??!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great projects on the go. I especially like your wool applique work. I did a craftsy class with Sue Spargo and learnt so many different stitches which I recognised in your work! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i turned my Kindle upside to look at your Hogwarts Express block - I think your 2 would be okay if you flip it upside down ... and, oh my gosh, that braided bread looks SO GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt looks beautiful! I'm glad you are thinking of hand quilting! Thanks for linking up to the Hand Pieced QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you hand piecing quilt! Nice colors! Take a walk each morning - that will de-stress you and give those endorphins a chance to keep you going each day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your setting! It came out lovely! Thanks for being a part of the QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is very inspiring to me. I often look at blogs about sewing quilts and I find something inspiring every time.
    CTNBEE | ctnbee.com/en

    ReplyDelete