Sunday, November 20, 2016

A new quilter and a new runner....

I had to laugh....

This week my sister-in-law came around with her second quilt ever. It's very well done. Her first one was like a Turning Twenty quilt....not a lot of precision needed. This one is more traditional with points, flying geese, the whole shebang.

Her comment was, "A quarter-inch seam really matters, doesn't it?".

But that's not the funny part.

I don't see her very often, so I took the opportunity to show her my Quilty365/Year in My Life...


She loved it, and asked, "but wherever do you get all those different fabrics from?".....I laughed and laughed....my husband laughed and laughed. 

She is so naive....I'll come back to this conversation in 5 years and see how her stash has grown. I'll remind her of our conversation.....and she'll laugh and laugh!!! She was then taken aback to realise that most of the backgrounds in this quilt are different also.....oh my, the look on her face!

So much fun to see quilting through the eyes of a beginner! Love it!

....and it continues...

I showed her my FlowerGarden quilt....


....and she asked, "So what is the purpose of this one, why did you  make it?".....that got me laughing again as I explained to her that most quilters I know make a quilt for the fun and/or the challenge, etc. She is still at the newbie stage of making a quilt for a purpose or buying a piece of fabric just because it is needed (remember those days????). 

She did admit to having a feeling during the sewing of her sampler that she was itching to get to the next block, and so on.

And so it begins!....we have recruited our next quilter! If only she knew what she is in for. Although, maybe it's better that she hasn't a clue of the obsession she is about to enter???

I think she was well and truly hooked when I handed her a bag of about twenty civil war fabrics....bought long ago for a quilt that just never happened. Oh, the twinkle in her eyes as she peeked into the bag....priceless!

The weather here in Southern Ontario has certainly taken a turn towards Winter in the last 24 hours. As I sit here writing the wind is is quite blustery and there is a bit of the white stuff out there. A lovely morning to be curled up with some Slow Stitching, don't you think?

I finished a section of my Auntie Green's Garden. Now I have to prep a bit more before continuing...



I finished up the bit that was left on my current Life is Beautiful block....



....and then I was able to do some hand-quilting for a few minutes. I wish I could stay curled up with that all morning, but it's not meant to be!

Today is the Santa 5K in Hamilton. It is my first race and I've been excited and a bit nervous, lol. This morning, I'm thinking I may be a bit crazy.....why couldn't Friday's weather be happening today!!??...we had temperatures of 20 degrees, beautiful!

At the moment my phone is telling me it is -1 feeling more like -11!

The race is going to be down by the bay on Lake Ontario and I think the wind will be wicked. But I'm sure it will be a blast....everyone in their Santa suits...running with an old friend and some new ones. I'm sure I'll remember this day with fondness...and the weather will just add to the story of it.

I'm going to finish this post later today, hopefully with a couple of pictures of the race. Wish me luck!!!!




********************

Well, I'm back and lived to tell the tale!

What a blast!!

It was windy.....and wonderful! So much good cheer.

So windy, my beard kept blowing up in my face on the trolley ride to the starting line...


There were a few people I knew from my running group...



So many Santa's in one room....so much fun...





At one point I wondered if I was close to halfway....then I saw the 3K marker.....awesome!!!

I had a time in mind that I would like to run the race in....and I think I beat it by a few minutes....again, awesome!


What an exhilarating day!

I had a couple more pictures to share, but for some reason they are not transferring over. Oh, well, this post is getting long enough anyway!


I am linking up with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh, Scrap!.

Have a great day!






5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed-a 5k run! Wow! and in the very cold-dressed as Santa. I have to tell you that your Garden Quilt is just lovely and beautiful and so colorful. And I like your Auntie Green Block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Santa run! And I'm grinning at the thought of what a bunch of running Santas must have looked like...
    Your applique is always so gorgeous! Are you dragging your SIL into that rabbithole, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your bit on the new quilter. I remember a time when I knew where every bit of fabric was purchased

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the run, especially in that bitter cold! It was fun to read the new / old quilter experience...very humorous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed that you braved such weather to run in a Santa suit. It will be a great memory when you are old and gray! The newbie story is priceless. Auntie Green is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete